Sunday, June 15, 2008

Hong Kong in Manila

The smell of the creek excluded, Ongpin reminds me of the streets of Hong Kong, especially those streets where stalls just suddenly appear in the evening for the night market.

Hence, for some good half a day, my colleagues and I surveyed 168 Mall at Binondo, bought nothing...and headed instead to Ongpin's famous "Sincerity Chicken" and some pasalubong-hopping at the home of the famous "Eng Bee Tin."

Sincerity is a humble restaurant located at this mid-part of this street to the right of this volunteer fireman's cafe a few steps from the bridge.

No bold sign would welcome you to the much-raved about restaurant, hence, an attentive eye geared toward your right side (coming from that corner street with the cafe), would be needed to locate this store. Their chicken is said to be their specialty and while I personally don't find it spectacular, it's fairly good and it definitely tastes nothing like your ordinary chicken.

For nine very hungry ladies and a gentleman, we ordered their recommended dishes like the fried chicken, this Chinese kangkong, fried kikiam, fried rice and pork asado and cans and cans of soft drinks (boy, were we thirsty!).

What I was hoping to eat as an appetizer, was served after I had finish one full plate, so I had no choice but to eat my eight treasure suman for dessert. It was filling and heavy, so I did not enjoy it for dessert. Maybe, if I would have it for a quick brunch or early dinner, I would appreciate it, but that time, I found it too flavorful and thick, hence not appetizing.

For the price of 1,600 pesos for nine starving persons, it was worth it. I would go here again if there's no traffic-issue and parking difficulty. Otherwise, Kopi Tiam's Asian delights would be a better bet.

I loved the new chocnut hopia from Eng Bee Tin better for dessert, though.

No comments: