Saturday, August 16, 2008

What was 08-08-08 for me?

Apart from the expected influx of weddings on the said lucky August 08, 2008, I also heard of many engagements happening on this date. This I think is the more practical choice given that getting married hastily, “binding a relationship” permanently yet abruptly, just to fall on the said lucky date, may actually later bring bad luck due to disagreements arising from being unprepared for the life-long commitment.

I did not get married or get engaged on the said date, though. I did not even choose to get a date on the said date (thinking it would be lucky and that I would finally be the “lucky girl” to meet my perfect match on the historical “08-08-08”).

The “lucky date” started off pretty bad for me, actually. Once more, I clocked-in the office “late”, my second in a row for the month, considering there is still more than half a month to battle, and that we are only allowed to have four times late in a month.

Anyway, my day progressed – a meeting with our joint venture partners in Makati… a meeting with Gruppo Barbero for a potential expansion at our Fort property… and a weekly progress report meeting later in the afternoon.

All meetings were stressful and full of pressure and tension. By 6pm, the end of the day for most working people, I was definite that the day definitely did not bring any luck to me.

Thankfully, even if I was already thinking twice in attending our regular small group fellowship, God gave me grace to just have enough energy to just get out of the office and head to Galleria, instead of directly go home, sapped of energy and enthusiasm.

We read 2 Peter 1:1-14. In essence, the passage mentioned of the necessity of Christians to grow in Christ-like attitudes continually. For some Christians, “faith in Christ”, “perfect church attendance”, “participation in major gatherings”, and perhaps “leading this and that organization” are the end of it all.

The Bible says, “No, it does not end there.” Christians are expected to “grow perpetually and in increasing measure, in their godliness, perseverance, knowledge of God and in their manifestation of brotherly love to people.”

Each of us shared what we would like God to strengthen in us most. All of us agreed that we all need an increasing measure of manifestation of all traits. Most highlighted on asking God to teach them more perseverance in order for them to shrug off their tendencies to be impatient and restless.

I specifically asked God to increase in me the sharing of “brotherly love.” Ironically, despite the nature of my job (very interpersonal), I choose people “to build relationships with.” I am not nice to all. I would like to think I am not mean to anyone. Actually, one of the things I often argued about with someone from my past, is how I am not comfortable about him acting up and being so demanding to those of lower stature than he is – like waiters, janitors, drivers, security guards, etc. I was raised in a family who treats “workers” as part of family. When I said I am not nice to all, I do not mean about not being nice to these kinds of people. I tend not to be nice to people who have values and habits “irreconcilable with mine.” I tend to flock only with people I share something in common with. No, we do no dress the same, watch the same movies, or have the same family backgrounds. But I only relate to people who share with me the same train of thought.

“Workers” set aside…. Let’s put it this way, I am more discriminating to people of stature (or those who reiterate their “position in life”) or people who say they are educated. I expect a lot from these people. I expect them to know what they’re doing and for them to be able to understand what other people are trying to explain. I also expect them to be trustworthy and not power-trippers. In short, I expect their supposed to be brilliant minds to be put to “real work” and concrete output. I hate fancy-talkers who produce nothing. I hate people who lack finesse and breeding (Again, “workers” excluded. I don’t use a measure stick to those who lack and are underprivileged. I only use my strict measure stick to those who “claim to be someone” or to those who “claim to have accomplished something”). I hate people who are slow and who lack creativity and resourcefulness. I hate people who can’t translate their talking into thinking and producing.

Furthermore, it’s hard for me to be nice or show “brotherly love” to people who broke my trust or to people who’ve hurt me. I may be civil and forget what he or she has done, but once “trust” and “respect” are lost, it’s hard for me to show love again.

Reality check…. I am engulfed by many people that I “hate” or “cannot love.” My parents included. My brother included. For at one point in their lives, they’ve hurt me as I have hurt them too.

My workmates included. My past lovers included. My friends included. Given my measure, I have many reasons “not to love them.” But as a Christian, the Bible has constantly reiterated how it is important that we learn to “extend brotherly love.” How it is pertinent that we manifest kindness and care even to those we cannot love. Why? For this is the concrete evidence of God’s work in our lives. And for Christians to say they are really growing in Christ, an effective and productive witness would be the ability to really show “love.”

This I pray to God – that He grants me grace to really share His “love” to everybody. That I may learn to forgive and to appreciate others who are not like me. That I may learn to be tolerant of others.

08-08-08 ended with lessons being revealed to me….

I attended Joel Ramos’ birthday celebration at a music bar at Ortigas Home Depot. I have not known Joel for a long time but given the night of “honoring God” and “honoring him given what God has enabled him to do”, I am reminded of how God can create a masterpiece out of a seemingly “broken life.” I learned during that celebration night that Joel’s parents parted ways when he was younger. Yet I am blessed and challenged in the way he responded to this life situation he was exposed to. According to his mom, during the time that his father left, Joel said, “Don’t worry Ma, I’ll take care of you.”

Later in life, when the girlfriend of his father left, Joel offered to take care of his father – making an effort to visit him regularly and bring him medicine and healthy food.

Joel is also working his ass off now just to make sure he takes care of his mother’s and his brother’s needs. As a matter of fact, he jokingly remarked, “Bro, kahit magtrabaho ako forever, kahit ako na magtrabaho para sa yo… Basta, tutuparin natin yung pangarap mong mag-franchise ng Chowking… Na kahit pag tinanong, sino mag-fa-franchise… si kuya… sino mag-ma-manage… si kuya… gagawan natin ng paraan yan.”

I had no clue Joel had gone through a lot given his very sunny disposition. Actually, I thought, he was one of the usual happy-go-lucky privileged guys, who drives his father’s car, and spends his family’s earnings with nothing to worry about. On the past two small group sessions though, I found out that their family business is actually on his shoulders. I also just recently found out he had quotas to meet, targets to hit and business problems to solve. Yet, God had granted him grace to allow him to prosper their business. God has blessed him tremendously because he is a giver (very generous at that, I heard) and because he is always ever-excited to honor God through his tithing and through his sharing to other people. Most importantly, his being selfless is not just evident to people who will praise him (people at church or charity) but even to people who “have hurt him” – his mom (who accordingly is very hard on him) and his father who left them. Even to people who have no voice to honor him - like children with scars on their bodies he bumps with, which he chooses to nurse; or new fellows at church who he hardly knows, but when hospitalized, he brings a daily ration of orange juice in the hospital.

Before that night, the only thing I know about Joel is that he is a “light who brightens up a dull room” because he is like an Energizer buddy who always laughs and kids around. But as the night ended, God has reminded me of the fact that He creates glorious lives for people who earnestly seek Him.

Joel’s mother and stepfather belong to a different religious affiliation. Yet, his parents have been very supportive of his being active at church (even encouraging him to pursue church leadership classes) because of one thing – his evident testimony of God’s love, care and compassion shared to his family and to others. Furthermore, his love, devotion and time for his family are non-negotiable despite the fact that he works full-time and is very active in church work. Wow, talk about efficient time-management (Teach me this, dear God).

Indeed, God blesses us with “real people” to inspire our walk with Him. Joel is an epitome of a growing Christian –an effective witness and concrete proof of God’s awesome workmanship.

Through God’s grace, I am confident He would also mold my life into something which would also inspire other people. Through Him, I pray I would be more loving, forgiving and giving to every person He would bring my way. Most importantly, may He grant me a “giving heart” to people who matter most – my father, my mother and my brother. I look forward to the day that would also confidently say, “Don’t worry, through God’s grace, I would take care of you.”

No comments: