Sunday, June 15, 2008

A Quickie at Galera

A payday weekend prompted some colleagues and I to brave Galera setting aside the usual mindset of June as end of summer.

Despite being still up at 1130pm in the spa the Friday before our 3 a.m. call time at the bus stop at Cubao, I headed to treat myself for a "quickie" over the weekend (quick getaway) unmindful of the pile of work on my desk and resume of master's classes on Monday.

Admittedly, this was my first time in Puerto Galera and in fact, my first time to go to an out-of-town trip commuting. Hence, I was unstoppable despite the fact that some part of me still felt kind of numb after my 11pm Brazilian Wax at the spa (I was just hoping for a bikini wax... Unfortunately, I mistakenly told the spa lady I wanted a Brazilian, not knowing it meant taking of every hair in every crevice of that thing down me... Hence, it took longer time and was more painful than my last wax which at least left some hair....)

After I found out that a bus trip from Cubao to Batangas Port costs 180 pesos, I snoozed off the dreamland. The time I awoke, my butt was sore due to my immobility the entire two and a half hour trip. Anyway, I was still all smiles while waiting to be boarded to our lancha headed to White Beach, Oriental Mindoro a.k.a. Puerto Galera.


Except for the fact that the one hour waiting time sucked, the boat trip was relatively okay. We had a smooth sail good enough that it was able to cradle me to sleep until we were 30 minutes away to the destination.


By the time we reached White Beach which was around 930am, we were badly starving (most of us did not have breakfast) hence after a ten-minute bed stretching in our humble but very comfortable accommodation at the White Beach Hotel (for 1,500 pesos), we had lunch. We chose Buena Lynne's because of the recommendation of our very own Buenafe.

For about 1,500 pesos, very hungry guys and girls were filled and satisfied. We had liempo galore, sinigang, chopsuey, pinakbet and fried tilapia.





After napping, a little after the normal lunch time, we headed to try the infamous Mindoro Sling at Mikko's while alternately cooling ourselves at the beach. If you are able to befriend one of their staff - "Mia" a.k.a. your friendly gay in the neighborhood, corkage may probably be waived for the "items" you bring along their "al fresco" seats. I had green mango-all-I-can with Feathers.

(Mikko's in the morning... Near the Villa Natividad ticket booth)
A little later, we were crazy enough do our crazy poses...

A little later... I was experimenting with black and white... and then, with the different "shades of the sun" (check out my next post).

In the evening, those who did not get knocked out over the afternoon went to Paul's Place... No alcohol drinking... just good and cheap beach food and some lengthy conversations... With Kebabs, Liempo, really big prawns, fish and ensaladang talong (our bill was around a thousand pesos only).



Since I was really just looking for some change in scenery and a quickie getaway to break my daily routine, I headed to the girls' room, watched TV, had some kwentuhan and dozed off to sleep. Two room mates were adventurous enough to get alcohol overdose. I was happy with the comfort of my soft-stiff bed, blanket and cool air-conditioning. With the usual hectic week I have, being boring and quiet in an out-of-town trip was actually exciting and relaxing.

I woke up early in the morning to try the boldly advertised Eat-All-You-Can Foodtrip sa Galera (located almost beside Villa Natividad ticket booth). They also caught my eye because of their jet ski tables by the shore.



My 90 peso breakfast was so-so, but somehow worth the price if I was able to take advantage of the eat-all-you-can-rice. Their most expensive item on their menu was a Fried Tilapia meal with eat-all-you-can-rice, tomato and salted egg priced at 120 pesos.

Given that it was early morning, my stomach was not ready enough to go rice hoarding, so I settled with a plain beef tapa meal and a cheap, aromatic and very flavorful Kapeng Batangas Barako for 35 pesos a cup. It was so good, it would pass as a Starbucks' coffee of the day. Since it was on plain styro, I didn't take a picture of it as its presentation would not give justice to its taste.

Since we bought our back to Batangas ticket Saturday afternoon, we were booked at the 7am trip. By 12 noon, we (Well, for the two of us who did not go drink-all-you-can) were back to Manila to celebrate Father's day.

My total expenses, with little pasalubong included, did not exceed one thousand pesos. For those who think that the long travel time for an overnight Puerto Galera trip is not worth it, think twice. Unlike Boracay, there's not much to do in Puerto Galera, unless you spend on island- hopping, diving and snorkling... Hence, it's really just perfect for an overnight trip.

But the "luxury of slow time by the shore" is a treasure. Many times, I've proven, time is slow in provinces. I had several good naps during the trip but I still had some good long time to eat, swim, chat and bond with friends. (I actually think going to Galera is an equally good alternative to an overnight in Tagaytay.)

Most importantly, I was able to commune with nature and myself. Priceless....


No comments: