Sunday, July 20, 2008

Bridging Gaps… Building Dreams…. Over A Cup of Latte.


My cousin Micah came over the Philippines to try “court life” at the Supreme Court. Micah, about to graduate from his Pol.Sci. degree at the University of Chicago; and, a few blinks away from his law degree, is very much excited about his future.
Given his few weeks in Manila though, he is very anxious about “life” as we know it, “life” at the Supreme Court and “life” years later…
With his uneasiness brought about by the adjustment phase and the culture shock; and, despite his hesitance for “overly commercialized US coffee shops” (as he calls them), I knew our evening should end in a “coffee shop.”
After enjoying al fresco dinner while listening to oldies music, I brought him inside Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf Eastwood. Apprehensive at first due to his take on overpriced, overrated, displeasing “signature coffees”, he ordered what I ordered – Moroccan Mint Tea Latte.
Confident about my tea latte, I hoped to be able to remove his anxiety, over a good cup of drink and a relaxing conversation about who he was, who he is and who he wants to become (vice-versa).
You see, we may be cousins but we didn’t grow up together. We’re cultures apart, lifestyles apart, dreams apart…. We’re practically strangers.

Micah: “Would I be able to go to NYU?”
Me: “Would I be able to write for a living?”
Micah: “Would I save enough to build a rest house in Boracay or build my jazz bar at Paris?”
Me: “When shall I be able to see the cities of the world?”

After finishing our drink, all stress faded away, our hearts inspired and thoughts connected.

I say, “I know you can get to NYU.”“When I’m a full-fledged lawyer, I’ll send you a ticket to enjoy my jazz bar at Paris.”

No comments: