Thursday, March 20, 2008

The December Family Affairs


December is Lolo Domeng's birth month. So, we celebrated....

Rediscovering a Batangas beach.

I was initially not too keen on going to a Batangas beach few days before Christmas for two things. One, I was pre-occupied thinking about the list of gifts I still need to buy. Two, I am not a fan of Kabayan Beach Resort which is the only place free for booking amongst the many resorts on the same shoreline, that time.

But since Lolo was always an advocate of family time, I joined the overnight swimming trip anyway. I was not expecting anything spectacular from the place since it is not an "exclusive beach" compared to The Virgin Beach at the same area. The last time I went to Kabayan on a summer, I was pleased with the white sand (not very pristine as that in Palawan or Boracay) but turned-off with the crowd which patroned the place that time. Since it was their peak season, our group had to rub elbows with the "masses" who had fondness with loud videokes. We also had to join the many companies on summer excursion.

But since our trip was on a December, prior to the vacation schedule of most people who go to work, we had the venue almost to ourselves. So, it was divine. Plus, we paid a bangkero (around 1,000 pesos) to bring us to the deeper part of the sea by a nearby island, to experience snorkling.

God... was I very pleased to see the nicely fashioned corals and colorful schools of fishes ala Finding Nemo. The fishies swarmed us each time we dropped pieces of bread on the water. It was indeed an enthralling (but very affordable) experience in a place where I was expecting very little to happen. I will definitely do snorkling again in Batangas... But next time, with an underwater camera.

Revisiting Subic after a decade.

Yes, we passed by Subic after our company outing in Iba, Zambales last year. But I really did not see anything much in Subic except the favorite Royal stop for PX goods.

The last time I really explored Subic was when I was in Grade Five. That time, I enjoyed a lot. A decade later, I had high hopes, especially since my Grade Five field trip at Subic ranks one on my best grade school field trips. I was definitely not disappointed. (Our first night was capped off by a trip by the boulevard with the Doulos Ship on dock, at the background.



Our Day One paved the way for a Zoobic Safari Experience.









All my cousins enjoyed even if some of the girls got splashed on with water coming from the dressed chicken we were feeding the tiger.







The chicken-feeding and the trip riding a safari, was the cheapest yet fulfilling safari experience anybody could have. Each person would have to pay around 300 bucks for the tour.
We had the Tiger Safari Ride, a walk at the zoo which features a good variety of mammals (even albino breeds), pigs, rats, ducks, birds, etc. We even had the chance to feed some of the baby goats. Our zoo tour ended with a fun (actually, hilarious as my brother shrieked during one of their moves!) performance by the aetas.

We had an overdose of tiger sight-seeing (my pictures don't give justice) and was very thrilled with the croc feeding. It was a great experience for both kids and adults.


Since we stayed at the very affordable Subic Homes (about, 8K for an overnight stay... ideal for big groups) and was accompanied by good cooks, we had our meals at our transient home.

In the evening, we enjoyed the breezy night and bright lights in the city.





Our last day was a blast. While waiting for the oldies to get dressed, we lounged momentarily at the comfy sofa inside our homey place. After an early check-out, we headed to the ferry station headed to the Grande Island.





Each ferry passenger ticket cost around 700 pesos which is inclusive of a two-way ferry transportation (Grande Island to Ferry Station, vice-versa), a meal coupon and a free use of one "play amenity" in the resort. Except for the slow service during our lunch (but food was good!), all else was superb!






The sand is fair (not powdery but definitely the best when compared to the other beaches in Subic like Camayan or All Hands) but I stand to be the fairest of them all... Haha.






No comments: