Saturday, May 17, 2008

Back to the EAST

After learning that my brother would soon be an Eastwood-mate (after finding out he got a job at IBM), we celebrated by watching a feel-good movie - What Happens in Vegas. After which, since it was still raining, even if we weren't so hungry, we went to eat at Ebisu Grill located at City Walk 2, on top of Starbucks, near The Face Shop and Azta Urban Salon.


While most people nowadays are raving about Sizzling Pepper Steak (Trinoma) and Pepper Lunch (Rockwell) because of the experiential "Japanese dining" which involves this "cooking exercise" as if in yakiniku houses in Japan, my brother and I revisited Ebisu Grill while discussing life and how to live it. We enjoyed (for 500 pesos only), three entrees...




1. Uni Pasta which is cream-based but very tasteful with a hint of fish and generous mix of juicy mushrooms. This pasta does not come with bursting flavors but its simplicity makes it a lovable dish. (Php 245)
2. Salmon Cheese Maki is the dish which has this burst of flavor in every bite. The cheese melt pours to the tastebuds, while the crunch of crispy salmon bits and seaweed wrap balances out the milky feel of the cheese. (Php 85, four pieces)

3. Korrokke is something like chicken nuggets/ cordon bleu. The filling is a mixture of tangy and creamy. Plain but fairly good. (Php 75, four pieces)

So what did he have to say about life and how I should perhaps look at it? Well, in his opinion, there are two types of people - the "play-safe" and the "wild one."

In other words, the "stiff and serious" and the "easy-go-lucky, oblivious of life's cares." But he believes, each person is both, only that people are composed with a greater fraction of one of the two personalities. Hence, although a serious type would also have a wild side, generally, a serious type, would always be the serious type. He believes it takes the opposite personality to bring out from the serious type, this "recessive gene" (hint of wildness). He took Ashton Kutcher and Cameron Diaz tandem as example.

My brother thought "I'm on the safe side..." and he repeatedly said "I need an Ashton Kutcher in my life." He said, "it doesn't mean he is a plain goof ball, though. He is someone who can let loose, but also is cultured, talented and has "some bragging rights." Since I'm safe and serious, "my carefree Ashton" would allow me to let go of my constant need to please other people and relentless desire to be perfect, he added. Meanwhile, the laid-back guy would find order in his life and realize the alignment of his skills toward a purpose through "my being safe and orderly."

Hmmm... Where's this Ashton?

Oh well, I rest tonight thinking of what Cameron Diaz said - "I'd rather be happy doing nothing, than be busy doing something I do not love."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

been a long time since i last ate here... got to go back again:)

bambi said...

Maybe if I see someone taking artsy shots there or doodling on a laptop, that's you. Haha! Yeah, since Eastwood Cinemas are good, maybe eating before or after a movie there should be good. Indiana Jones or Sex in the City! Go go go!