Saturday, May 17, 2008

Home-made Goodness

The rainy season sets the mood for sentimentality for most people like me. I remember one college professor of mine, who would normally cancel our classes because “depression” (I don’t know of declared by a medical professional or self-declared) would hit her each time rains pour. If she would have to attend her classes during the “gloomy season”, I remember that she would dress-up in colorful dresses or in an out-of-the-usual racer-back top with silver or fuchsia sequin details in front (she has grandchildren already) just to awaken her bored senses.

I don’t find her abnormal. In fact, I do the same. During rainy days, I dress up imagining New York fashion just to give me an illusion that the “cold weather” transports me to another side of the planet. I would usually wear my black sleeveless turtleneck, put on my black corduroy jacket, wear my fit khaki pants tucked inside my almost knee-length brown stiletto boots. I then accent my look with my gold hoop earrings on and glittery light brown scarf wrapped the Carrie Bradshaw way around my neck. Or, for a sure New York look minus the layering, I wear my long-sleeved, dress-type, light plum colored knit with big fold collar detail and four big black button accents with my leggings and pumps.

But if all these feel-pretty moves fail to hype me up, I resort to getting myself home-made goodness from places I go to before or after a hard day’s work. These are my best bets (old and new faves) of places to go to:

1. Corinthian Hills “Market at the Hills” (Temple Drive, Quezon City) – This weekend market is so-not like the usual Salcedo-type or bazaar-type assembly I’ve seen. This one is minus the overrated Bangkok RTWs found in almost any activity called bazaar, but plus the country’s top chefs featuring their gourmet specialties. Of course, there are some home-made accent pieces, crafts, unique native jewelry and some decorative boxes from some booths, but the real worthy treasure in this market is the good food selection. Some of the favorites are:

a. Chef Gene and Gino Gonzales’ Beef Stroganoff Pasta which is the god of all comfort foods (at least for the pasta category) at this weekend market. (Of course, I’ve tried other “perfect pastas” from other places).

b. Chef Hannah Herrera’s (H Cuisine) Slow Roasted Beef Belly which when tried would not spare you from using the words “soooooooooooooo good and tender.”
c. Chef Booj Supa’s (Contempo Restaurant) Peppered Shrimp Balls on Rice Pilaf and his refreshing iced tea variants which for me are the “foods with the umph.”
d. Chef Jonas Ng’s special dumplings which has an unforgettable hint of ginger in every
bite.
e. Chef Hasset Go’s Crème brulee and Mango Cake. Addicting!

f. Chef Florabel Co’s Floring’s barbeque which is so phenomenal that someone walked-in and ordered 2,000 sticks for his party!

g. Chef Joshua delos Reyes’ Moist Chocolate Cake. Very affordable yet very satisfying.

Too bad, Chef Amelia Ann Alba (Barbara’s Catering, Malate) had to attend to do other things hence her booth is no longer there, but her paella is the one with indulgent ingredient content… very filling. Other non-chef booths which I went to which had me hooked on something are Something Different’s Spanish Bread, Manna’s Herb Foccacia bread, this booth selling thin crisp lengua de gato which melts in my mouth (anybody’s mouth for that matter, I swear!), this Wagyu burger booth (if you want serious M-E-A-T!), this cookie and brownie booth – Dessert Solutions which have their goodies baked fresh on-site (chewy and soft would be irresistible adjectives to use once you’ve made a bite). Trivia: Since they stick to selling fresh goodies only, by the time the weekend market closes (around 2pm), they sell their stuff at “buy one take one”!

The not-so-good buys are the one-liter yogurt drink which was cheap and delicious but had poor shelf life and the expensive bottled water!

2. Mom and Tina’s Café is an old favorite located across the SM Hypermart/ Tiendesitas near Julia Vargas. Their refrigerator cakes are creamy and comforting although I wouldn’t say spectacular and memorable. Their quiche would make you relish rainy days because it’s good to the taste at the moment you try it (but you may forget the details of the tasteful experience after because it is “forgettable” as Simon Cowell would say). But the best part about this hang-out place is the ambience. It reminds me of sub-urban American houses at the South. It’s really home for me.


3. Banapple (Old Katipunan area near Katips restaurant and Wham! Burger). I get my money’s worth here. I love their big and yummy cake slices; and, their home-cooked meals which are not restaurant-quality but just plain good.

4. Sonja’s Cupcakes (Serendra, Fort) – Of course, this one is commercialized but store is just dainty and lovable. If I crave for a literal one sweet treat, I get a picture-pretty cupcake piece and eat it all up by myself, and I’m good. There are equally good-tasting cupcakes in the Metro which are not as pricey, but for the ambience and the warmth of home-goodness, this is something I can’t scrap off my list.


5. Conti’s (Serendra, Fort) is the cheapest place to go to in Serendra but big-eaters and most of the men of my life do not like this place because of the “cute servings.” Nice plating and all, but some entrees, I feel, my mom can cook. Meaning, I should be able to eat it free and in bigger servings at our house…. Perhaps, the reason why this is still on my list. It reminds me of mom. Some cakes are good though. Not to die-for, but good enough to try again.

6. Chocolate Kiss Café (Bahay ng Alumni, UP Diliman) is the place where I am definite, no entrée or dessert shall fail me. I love the ground floor branch’s Kebabs and Pita with the Tzatziki Yogurt Sauce (not written on the regular menu) or the Hickory Spareribs. I so love their Dayap Chiffon Cake, Carrot Cake and Date Walnut Cake.

7. Prioes Café (Fernwood Gardens, Sanville) – Homey, romantic and very cozy. This place is perfect for intimate bondings. Foods served are not the usual so I find going there worth my gas even if it’s not so accessible to me. I like their Prioes Parmesan Chicken with Stuffed Sun-dried Tomatoes and plain cheesecake topped with chocolate drizzle and bits.

8. Icing’s (SM Pasig Hypermart periphery and a newly opened branch in Tomas Morato) – They don’t serve spectacular food I would rave about for a week, but food is also not disappointing. I like their spicy Hungarian pasta and their Mango cake.

9. Kozui (Tomas Morato, near Baang Coffee) – this is not totally home-made goodness, but the ambience and the comfort which absolutely good food brings to me is as perfect as a rainy day under the sheets (oblivious of things-to-do). I love their cold soba noodles, their “sandwiches”, takoyaki balls, animitsu and roasted green tea latte. Just the thought of this place, comforts me big time.
10. Numa Tea Salon (Rizal Drive, Fort near Net One and Furnitalia) – This is a place I would not mind hanging-out everyday. This place sort of like makes me forget I live in Manila or I’m in a third-world country. Especially at their second floor where the windows allow me to see the pacifying greenery, I could enjoy a good cup of non-commercial, real good tea.

Their blueberry green tea makes me reminiscent of my happy childhood memories. Their Waldorf chicken and apple sandwich reminds me of tea parties where little girls just want to have fun. There are places which label themselves juice bar but don’t serve excellent juice drinks at all.
This is a tea salon, worthy to be called such because of the extensive tea selection (I counted thirty-nine variants on the regular tea menu). The sandwich may not be the best you’ll ever try in your life, but it was pretty good for me especially when paired with my soothing tea amidst the very warm ambience. I paid around 300 pesos for a good and relaxing lunch. Definitely not bad… because I pay more than that should I have lunch at the commercial cafes which serve my favorites too like Starbucks, Coffee Bean, Seattle’s Best or UCC. Point is…this place may look expensive but Numa definitely has many things affordable. This place is more serene and more intimate than my favorite mall coffee shops. This place is the PERFECT place to bond with yourself. Or maybe, bringing along a good book as a companion is not such a bad idea.

For your information, salads range from 165 – 195 pesos. About 13 kinds of sandwiches are priced 135 – 285 pesos (definitely good enough to share). About nine pastas are available, priced between 165-235 pesos. Cakes, pastries and snacks are priced between 55-125 pesos.

I can’t wait to try their intriguing scones (they have whole wheat scones, mind you!), gooey butter cake, Bailey’s chocolate cake and Earl Grey Chocolate Cake, on my next visit.

No comments: